Am I Eligible for Support
Yes. Headway offers support to family members as well as to the injured person.
- Wherever you live, we can give you support and information over the phone, or on email. Phone Ruth, Richard, or Catherine, on 1890 200 278 . You can also email us on firstname.lastname@example.org .
- We also have education, counselling, and support groups for family members in a number of our centres in Ireland. These are for family members over 18 years of age.
- In Cork we have a Social Work service which can provide support and assistance to family members as well as people with brain injury.
- If there isn’t a Headway centre near you, you can still contact us and we will tell you who to ring for supports in your county, or country.
- You can read more about caring for someone with a brain injury, and understanding brain injury, here and you can read our publication “A Carer and Family Guide – coping with Acquired Brain Injury” here
- Want to get news and information? To keep up with news and events relevant to families affected by brain injury, sign up to receive our regular eNewsletter here .
- Our next Family Members Group meeting in Dublin is on soon. Click here for full details or phone Ciaran Nolan in Headway on 01-604-1711.
- Other organisations may be running events for family members too. Click here to see what’s coming up.
“It’s when you talk to someone else who is looking after someone with brain injury that they understand completely. Even though each brain injury is different, they still get where you are coming from. I find that from the carer meetings I go to at Headway. We all just “get it” – Martina, family member